Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Antifreeze Poisoning And Cats From (iCatCare) Get Your Free Poster!

For many of us the weather is becoming colder and it is a sad fact that, with the arrival of winter comes an increase in the number of cats poisoned by antifreeze.

Most antifreeze solutions (often used in cars in the winter) are based on a product called ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is very toxic to all animals when ingested, causing rapid and frequently fatal injury to the kidneys.

Cats are particularly susceptible due to their specialized metabolism. Cats only need to drink a teaspoon or less of antifreeze for it to cause serious illness and even death. So a curious lick or two from a small spillage could be enough to cause serious poisoning.


International Cat Care (iCatCare) has produced a free poster warning of the dangers of antifreeze to cats. This can be used to raise awareness of this issue and provides advice on keeping cats safe.

The poster can be downloaded for free here 

It can also be ordered from the iCatCare shop and a hard copy sent to you for a postage fee.

iCatCare’s advice  to avoid accidental poisoning:

  • Clean up any spills immediately, no matter how small, and make sure pets cannot access the area until it is clean and safe.
  • Never add antifreeze to garden water-features or ponds.
  • Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from pets and their environment.
  • Always dispose of antifreeze safely and responsibly. Contact your local authority for advice.

If your pet shows any of the following signs
 take them to a vet immediately:
  • Increased urination
  • Increased drinking
  • Vomiting
  • Depression
  • Lethargy (being abnormally sleepy)
  • Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
  • Seizures (fitting)
  • Abnormally fast heartbeat
  • Very fast, shallow breathing

The sooner veterinary treatment is received, the better their chances of survival. If left untreated pets can suffer, and will die.

Help International Cat Care  raise awareness of this serious risk and keep cats safe this winter.

For More Information click here 

20 comments:

  1. My human won't even let me walk on my leash in a parking lot, she is so paranoid about antifreeze! She worries about leaking cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary.....and something people just don't even think about that much I bet. Strange that we animals like the taste of antifreeze but it sure is very dangerous stuff. Thanks for the reminder!

    Hugs, Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to be ever so careful about the things you use when you have a pet. You should also be very careful what you use when you don't have pets. We have kitties and dogs that are here and there and we need to make sure they are not going to get sick or die because of our choices.

    Have a purrfect day, Cody. My best to your wonderful peeps. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will remind The Hubby about this, but I know he's very, VERY careful. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anti freeze is one of the worst things all right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one of the thing that scare me.
    Bonne soirée
    Natacha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tha is some scary stuff indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, that's such important information ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing such important information with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great informative post! I will be sharing as well. I'm glad my hubby keeps all his car fluids in the truck vs. the house so no chance of accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard of at least a few cats dying this way - and it's just plain horrible. A long time ago, I had a car that leaked anti-freeze and I had no idea of the dangers until one of the people I dog-sat for asked me not to park within the bounds of the electric fence (where her dog could conceivably encounter it).

    ReplyDelete
  12. dood....grate ree minder post buddy, thanx for de share. we wood like ta add if we may that cats like ta jump up into car hoodz now two, pleez tap it twice.. N thrice... bee fore ya tern that motor key ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post. I am thankful that my state of Massachusetts passed a law that only one with a bittering agent can be sold. This way animals are not as tempted to lick it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is fantastic, I think that all States should be ordered to do the same!

      Delete
  14. We keep forgetting about this because Mom Paula always has the antifreeze added at the dealership. This is great information to share and quite scary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good info and timely too, as a lot of stray furs might wander under a car to try and keep warm...danger from someone starting the engine, and danger from any drips/leaks. Sheesh:(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post and tips! Luckily, we don't need antifreeze around here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still another reason that it's best to keep cats indoors!
    I didn't know about the Massachusetts law Ellen mentioned- how smart!
    xxoo
    Maggie, Mickey Mouser and Rufus the Red

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you know that snowglobes that are so popular also contain antifreeze? Pop used to collect them until we found that out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! Antifreeze is a big killer up here in the Great White North!
    I'm taking the poster to the Vets with me when Jo Jo, Kozmo and Cinnamon go for their shots when they come at Christmas!
    Thanks Caren
    Love Barb

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed By: Wacky Jacqui's Designs