Monday, November 7, 2011
Being Thankful for Cats: A Guest Blog By Heather Kalinowski Of Trupanion Pet Insurance
Heather Kalinowski is a pet lover who spends her days writing about pets for Trupanion pet insurance. Trupanion offers 90% coverage for diagnostic tests, surgeries, and medications if a pet becomes sick or injured.
As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, it’s a good time to sit back and be thankful for all the wonderful things in our lives. And our beloved pets are definitely on top of the list. Cats are marvelous creatures and give us so much love and companionship, so today I thought I would list all the things I’m thankful for about our feline friends.
1. Warmth during cold nights. I feel like every night it gets colder here in Seattle and I find myself wanting to turn the heat up little by little every night. But cats are little heaters themselves and having them snuggled right up to you at night is comforting.
2. A TV-watching companion. I never have to justify watching episode after episode of The Bachelorette to a cat like I do my husband. A cat is perfectly content watching anything with me. I can even eat junk food while I sit in front of the TV and he doesn’t mind.
3. A listener who never gives bad advice. Ever since I was a little girl I have confided in my pets and that hasn’t stopped since entering adulthood. Cats are the best listeners because they give you sweet purrs to reassure you that everything is okay.
4. Feeling needed. Sometimes it’s a nice feeling to know that something depends on you for survival. While cats are famous for being independent and don’t want to admit they need you, the truth is they are reliant on you for nourishment, shelter, and love.
5. Never judgmental. I admit, there are times when I don’t feel great about myself. I can get down about the way I look or how much money I have or my social life. In those times I try to view myself through the eyes of my pet – even on my worst day I never look bad to them and that is a nice feeling.
Whether it’s something trivial or something important, each of the roles our cats play in our lives is incredibly meaningful. And what better time to give thanks than during the holiday of the same name? What is the thing you are most thankful to your cats for?